The director of the Sentinel English Language Institute (SELI) began conducting the first Young Writers clubs at Services Junior Secondary School, Wilberforce, in Freetown in October, 2008. After a period of meeting in the school, the club moved to the SELI premises in Tengbeh Town, and then the next year returned to the school. The school's administration has been strongly supportive of its young writers, encouraging regular attendance and providing the best accommodation available. Students have even read their final drafts aloud in school assemblies.
This year the club meets three times a week during lunch time. A good share of the writing in Fostering Young Writers in Sierra Leone was authored by this club, and it represents the spirit of the Seli River Writing Project, as many of the students have migrated to Freetown from some other part of the Seli River basin.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 08 March 2011 20:13|
- We all have the right to write. Anything we can say, we can write.
- We all can write well if we are emotionally involved in our topic and our purpose. We find our voices there. Writing is learning and discovering. It develops best in real-life situations, with the instructor intervening in the writing process.
- We learn to read by having written. We learn from our experiences, including experiences with oral and written texts. We should expose ourselves to many texts, and often do free-choice reading.
- We learn best in collaborative, diverse, and supportive communities. We all learn in our own ways, and our home cultures affect how we interpret our experiences.
- Moving through the writing process can produce powerful writing. We gain more ownership over our writing if we master the writing process.
- Writing is a strong tool for developing critical thinking. Challenging our thinking as we write in collaborative settings, develops academic language proficiency.
- We teach equitably: not less, but more to the poor. We recognize our children's home communities and ancestral cultures as our educational partners.